Monday, January 14, 2013

Run Home Dixie, Run Home.........



 In August of 2012 a friend and I picked up "Dixie" at a local shelter. Friends told me of this 14 year old shep mix that had been picked up as a stray in Gwinnett County. She was in danger of being euthanized, so we picked her up and brought her home.

 Dixie was almost completely blind and mostly deaf. She never really knew what was going on, but she seemed happy. We knew that somebody loved this dog at some point,, her coat was well cared for, she had no fleas, was heartworm negative and had been spayed at a young age. We started searching for her people.

 We contacted Vet offices, ran ads in local papers, posted her as being a "Found" dog on craigslist.......nobody called. I began to wonder if something had happened to her people and she had been left to fend for herself.

 This morning- January 14, 2013 at 10 am...We had Dixie humanely euthanized. She could no longer get up without causing extreme pain. Her quality of life was suffering and I knew it was time to say goodbye.

 As I was pulling away from the Vet's office, wiping the tears from my face,,it occured to me, that maybe,,just maybe,, I had just reunited Dixie with her people. I truly hope so, because I know Dixie missed them.........Run Home Dixie,, Run Home..............
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Ramona Ziegler said...

you have been the best foster mom this sweet girl could have Libby. And of all the memories she left behind one will stay my favorite: she is the reason why we know each other :O)

Libby said...

Thank you Ramona :)

 
Copyright © Rescue Ramblings